Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Road Trips with God



“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” Hebrews 4:12 

One of my favorite quality and quantity activities with my husband and three boys is traveling. When the boys were younger, we would play a game called "yellow car" to keep the boys entertained. We would search for yellow cars on the road, and whoever yelled out "yellow car" first would get a point. However, there was really no way of avoiding the cries from the backseat, "are we there yet", or the "he's in my space" arguments. The journey of traveling as a family of five was not always a pleasant one, but those are the times I will treasure forever. It was during the journey that I had my family's undivided attention to talk to and to get to know more about their lives. We would get frustrated with each other, but the time together and the destination outweighed the ups and downs of so much togetherness in a small space.

Our traveling with small children reminds me somewhat of my journey with God. The road has not been the easiest, and I have often asked God, "Are we there yet?". Through my walk with God, I have learned to look for a lesson or building of character moments. . . but sometimes the road that He took me down was so long and hard, and it forced me to be dependent on God for strength and perseverance because I couldn't do it on my own. Over the years, I have walked the road of grief, financial uncertainty, job loss, cancer, and relationship struggles. As much as I would like to avoid the bumps in the God-lead journeys, I know they are necessary. Through my rough walks, I have learned how God works and who He is. . . I have also built a relationship with Him. Without those ups and downs. . .and long "road trips", I would not have  learned to depend on God's Word for guidance, strength, and comfort . . . and so much more.

"So is my word that goes out from my mouth:    It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire   and achieve the purpose for which I sent it" Isaiah 55:11

Trying to survive the journey of life, I have learned to get in the Word, talk to God, and allow God to talk to me. The Word gives me peace and direction. . .His Word is living and shows me where to go in those forks in the road. When I am feeling lost or confused, digging into God's Word brings me to a place of revelation. . . I no longer feel alone on the bumpy road, and I seem to find direction that brings peace with the journey.

John 1:1 tells us that, "The Word is God". If we read a little further in verse 14 of the first chapter of John, we also learn that "The Word becomes flesh". . . The flesh is our Savior Jesus Christ. This means that THE WORD IS LIVING.

There are times that I wanted God to appear in a burning bush or hear that deep voice from the sky telling me what to do in a certain situation or answer that question, “Are we there yet?” . . . when will my mountain move? . . . what job do you want me to take? Many times I have cried out . . . “Where are you God?”

When I figured out God was alive and well in His Word waiting for me to come visit, I also figured out how to "hear" God. God’s Word is alive and waiting to guide us on an incredible journey towards an amazing destination.

The Living Word has several functions, but we can begin by concentrating on these:

1. TESTIFY:

"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me..."John 5:39

All throughout the Living Word there are testimonies and parables testifying of WHO our God is and WHAT He has done for us and capable of doing for us. As we dig into the Living Word we will learn about our mighty God and get to know Him more intimately. Knowing how our God works allows us to grow more confident in His works and have faith as we wait to hear from Him; we begin to understand His directions and wisdom.  

2. GIVE WISDOM:

"And that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." Timothy 3:15

"For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding" Proverbs 2:6

Staying in God's Word will give you wisdom for your journey of life. God knows you and knows your days ahead. When you study scripture, you allow God to give you wisdom for the circumstances and events that we have not yet encountered. By memorizing scripture, we are able to recall God's wisdom and pray His Word at any moment. Through prayer and God's Living Word we are armed with a "double-edged sword" that will cut through anything we are walking through. 

3. REGENERATE NEW LIFE:

"For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God" 1 Peter 1:23

God gives us physical life when we are born from the womb of our mother. Physical life comes from sinful seeds that will eventually end in death which separates us from this earth. However, our Spiritual life comes from eternal seeds that will live on for eternity when it is rooted in the faith of Christ. God will forgive our sins and gives us a new life. . . a new spiritual life when we come to Him through the salvation of Jesus Christ. 

4. INTERACTIVE

"Some became fools through their rebellious ways and suffered affliction because of their iniquities. They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave" 
Psalm 107:17-20

Wherever we are at in our lives, God can meet us in His Word and heal us. Even when we are rebellious in our ways, God wants us to find him. We can find God when we intentionally get in His Word. Getting into God's Living Word becomes an interactive way of inviting God into your life to restore broken relationships, break chains of addiction, provide for financial distress, or heal painful memories.      

Today's Journal and Reflection: Where are you heading on your journey of life? Are you allowing God to take the road trip with you? Are you asking God, "Are we there yet?". . . if so, where are you wanting to go and why? Are you needing wisdom and new life from God? Wherever you are in life today, God will want to hear from you and take the road trip with you.  


Join me in my private group Pam's Girl Talk 



No comments:

Post a Comment