Being in a state of ketosis is a very safe process. This is a naturally occurring process in the body when you break down fat. Most people have been in ketosis at some point, due to exercise or dietary changes, although not usually long enough to experience the amazing benefits conferred through elevated ketones over an extended period of time.
In fact, our ancestors lived very well on ketones. They lived in a time of feast or famine. In the twenty-first century, we have not had to worry about the feminine. We have fast food restaurants that are open 24 hours a day, grocery stores, and many many options to find something to eat. Our ancesters did not have the conveniences that we have; therefore they took what they could get from the land when they could. When meat was available that's what they ate. When berries were available that's what they ate. So when there was a faminine how did they survive? There bodies were designed to convert it's fat into ketones. Our bodies are made to use two fuel sources: ketones and glucose.
But this day in time, our bodies are not having to convert fat into ketones. We have so many options of glucose to choose from. Glucose, or better known as carbs, are the food of choice for comfort and fellowship. It is everywhere in bread, pasta, grains, sweets, and prepackaged snacks and meals. We are in glucose overload and our bodies were not designed to live like this. An abundance of glucose is causing so many harmful side effects and illnesses in our bodies. Here is a great explaining the harm that we are doing to our bodies: "Using-diet-variation-to-lose-weight". I do not see a famine in our future with all the convenient ways to get food now, so we are going to have to make choices to live a life of abundance.
Here are 5 tips to get your body into ketosis to allow your body to heal. . .
1. Restrict your carb consumption to 20 grams a day. When you restrict your carbs, you allow your body to convert fat to ketones for long lasting fuel. A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates, such as those found in grains, starchy vegetables and fruit and emphasizes foods high in protein and fat. Many types of low-carb diets exist. Each diet has restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates you can eat. A keto diet restricts carbs to 5%, protein 20%, and fats 75%. A keto diet is generally used for losing weight by putting one's body into a ketosis state. When one's body does not have glucose for fuel, it will convert fats into fuel.
2. Consuming coconut oil can aid in the process of making ketones. It contains fats that are called medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). MCT can be used immediately for fuel or converted into ketones. Dr. Mary Newport has researched the effects of coconut oil in people with Alzheimer's disease and other nervous system disorders. She has a great organic coconut oil that is conveniently packaged for cooking or adding to drinks and food. Purchase Dr. Mary Newport's 1:4:3 Coconut Oil
3. Increase your physical activity to aid in the process of ketosis. Exercise uses various forms of energy for fuel, such as amino acids, fats and carbohydrates. The more you exercise, the more you deplete your body of its reserves, including glycogen. The more glycogen you deplete, the less your body has to use for available energy. When your glycogen levels drop low enough, you enter ketosis. While light exercise will slowly deplete your blood sugar, exercise intensity plays a significant role in not only how quickly you enter ketosis, but how easily you maintain ketosis.
4. Consume healthy fats in your diet to stay fueled and full. Rather than drawing energy from glucose, a person in ketosis stays fueled off of these circulating ketones or ketone bodies — essentially, burning fat for fuel. This is the principal goal of the ketogenic diet, which can be achieved by adhering to a very low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet with only moderate amounts of protein.When consuming healthy fats. One will feel full and suppress their appetite. Also when restricting a carbohydrates, a fuel source is needed. Fats provide long lasting energy and help with sluggish feeling when first trying to change into the Keto lifestyle.
5. Use ketone supplementation as a tool to help you jump start the ketosis process while you adjust to the new lifestyle. It is great to supplement with ketones when ketosis is achieved. Our bodies are capable of using ketones and glucose for fuel. If you have a "chef" day or Monet, supplementation will help keep your body functioning on ketones instead of just glucose. Supplements are water-soluble and do not require the usage of your liver to make the ketone bodies. Ketone Supplements have just become readily available in the last couple of years. Pruvit leads the ketone conversation and research. Click here to request samples